Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sleep Better With Passionflower Tea

Why has nobody ever called snooze disorders when they talk about menopause? As if hot flashes and weight gain was not enough of an insult. When I started to hit the button on the clock at 2, 3 and 4 o'clock when I reached fifty, my husband muttered loud enough to be heard in the next village. He carped about being awakened by my tossing and turning, allowing the light to read or getting up and walking around the house. I was relegated to the narrow bed in the guest room. Because this is a second marriage for both of us and we were married less than 3 years, I have a cunning plan to return to the comfort of the matrimonial king-size bed.

First, I cut down on my stress at work by delegating more, and when that is not the problem, I took an over-the-counter herbal remedy sleep and began contemplating my navel every Thursday night with girls as slim and leeks in a yoga class. I then tried different ways, melatonin, valerian, lavender cushions and any other additional remedy that distance was probably my sleep to recover.

But the land of Nod was the will of me to exclude from its borders, and I joined the one in three people who suffer from insomnia. While I'd rather impale myself on a garden fork than drugs, I never said the word insomnia to my doctor. But I need more sleep problems in the last year than my husband "had nights of marital happiness. Until that is I discovered flower tea!

'Passion Flower' I read, raising my eyebrows over the breakfast table, looking for a book of herbal remedies and stare It's unusual upside down flower. But the words passion woke up a little more cautious in my husband. Ignoring the gleam in his eye, I went cross-like stamens hung above a cradle of the pale bet 'he rattled his paper tries me to ignore, "former early Christian pilgrims from the crucifixion to remember" I went . He yawned as I commented on his striking blue, purple, red or white flowers and the fact that everything is grown in Europe as a garden climber. Even when I informed him that it was also called Granadilla, Maypop, Passiflora or Passion Vine, it did not increase more than a grimace. "It is a cure for insomnia" I said and he finally looked up from his paper.

Now, before you break your insomniacs passion flower from the garden wall and put the kettle on, it is worth to note that of the 460 species of passionflower, Passiflora Incanarta that it only has a mild calming effect. The product you can buy as an herbal supplement in Europe is supplied in tablet form or be made in the loose tea, or can be sprinkled in the bath water. Although the herb promotes a natural form of relaxation is not addictive and it would be wise if you are taking any medication or are pregnant to consult with a herbalist.

More than 200 years, I read on, now I'd be interested, there is evidence that passionflower calm and soothe edgy nerves leave documented. The plant contains naturally occurring serotonin and its use as a sedative was made known to the West in 1569.

And before I could say "Sweet Dreams", he sat at the computer ordering on the internet. After a week of sipping tea before bed, I slept like a baby, and I have my old energy back. Enough to give the leeks in the yoga class a second look at this 50 year old glide through the sun salutation.

No comments:

Post a Comment